So ages ago I bought a Warhound. What arrived in an atrociously packaged and damaged box was not what I was expecting and it’s taken ages to rebuild it. Pretty much every section was broken apart so reconstruction meant pinned and epoxied joints and some touching up of the interior paint.
It came with laser blasters and a plasma cannon too. It’s ready for exterior paint now but will be in the to do list for a long time now whilst I chug through the 8mm scale Titans for Adeptus Titanicus.
As always seem to have a multitude of models on the go. They’re sitting at various stages of complete, but some need more work or motivation than others and get reprioritised in favour of something that’s a bit more inspiring.
I decided that I wanted some dedicated close combat terminators and as part of a job lot of figures ended up with some Cataphractii Terminators. These one are all equipped with a pair of lightning claws and in addition to these I’ve five chaos terminators who are going to get clawed up too. Plus I’ve started gathering bits for some thunder hammer and storm shield troops too.
Then there’s the Chaos Warhound Titan. The one that’s sat in a box under the table for months. That was sold as a complete finished model and arrived in bits. Well the new base for that is underway and I’ll start thinking about pinning and gluing it back together now. Just mulling over whether to magnetise the waist joint…
When you’ve been into 40k since the game came out and your engagement with the hobby has ebbed and flowed with time, you begin to forget what you read and when and indeed whether the memory of that was something that has been warped by the passage of time. Anyway at some point back in the day, I’m fairly sure that one of the traits of the Night Lords were plenty of jump pack equipped marines.
Having been slaughtered at the hands of some jumpy Ultramarines in Games Workshop Norwich in the late 1990s it was clear that I needed some, so I’ve gradually being amassing units. One was actually painted previously, but needs an overhaul and thus those below are the first unit. Yes, another ten man squad.
These came out of a job lot of figures I acquired and were preassembled and primed in chaos black. I liked the poses and the terror squad heads so they went straight to paint, no mods.
Five of the troops are equipped with chainswords and bolt pistols. I can live with that, there’s going to be plenty of variety so I can live without chainaxes on this occasion.
I’ve been feeling the need to have a go at weathering, so tried some on the chainsword bars. I used a dark purple and then two shades of silver. I think that the effect needs some more work, but it’s a start.
The other five troops in the unit carry power maces – not my power weapon of choice, these are not 40k monks or tech priests. That said, I will cast aside my ecclesiastical association with these weapons and hope they will be equally useful in smashing their way through armour.
I’ve been working on some ideas for a new squad and have now finished a proof of concept.
I’ve been heavily influenced by Kari from Ironsleet (Instagram @Koltti) and an incredible force of Red Corsairs.
t of a
As part of a bulk buy of figures I’ve ended up with three squads to form into tactical units of ten, probably out of a Betrayal at Calth set. I wanted to find a way to develop some unique features for the squads.
Spiked shoulder pads are formed by drilling the pad with a large bit in the pin vice, such as 3.5mm.
Cocktail sticks were then taken and the tips chopped off. That gives two spikes straight off. The others were cut and whittled from the same stick with a scalpel.
Helmet plumes in the mark IV armour pattern are heavily influenced by Roman centurion helmet designs. I think they look a bit rubbish so turned mine to run from to bak with a bit of shaping. A skull was then modded to fit at the front. Just need to build up the motivation to do a load more.
It might be the first one that I have posted here, but this is another tactical transport for the troops of the 19th Company.
I’ve developed the insignia I trialled on the Rapier Mortar to provide some monotone chapter markings to the bullet riddled hull.
It’s not a Chaos Rhino unless it has a lot of spikes. This one has plenty, plus a fully painted interior and a few subtle mods like the I-beam front bumper.
After starting the strip down of the old Devastator squad some time ago, all of the original figures have been reassembled, scaled up and formed into my first 10-troop unit, this time a tactical squad.
On the left is the proof of concept marine, then we have a flamer equipped marine and a comms specialist.
All marines cary the tactical squad insignia on the left leg of their lower leg armour.
The squad sergeant uses the original head with some green stuff modelled to provide more hair. He also uses a loin cloth our of a later model set.
The model on the right below is a very old Rogue Trader era metal figure. The chain bayonets were another defining feature of the original Space Marines boxed set.
The original pattern Bolter now seems to be positively anorexic in comparison to the newer models.
I have a real soft spot for the original pattern missile launchers. I just think that it was a great design.
The later missile launcher specific backpack is much better looking that and functional than the original and stick on missile ammo packs. That communicator was also a defining feature of the original set. I also enjoyed creating the backpack with the skulls for exhausts. That’s definitely a design that I will use again.