After the game, I think that there are a few things I’d change, but here’s a pic of the army I took.
The Bloodthirster is just a gun magnet and degrades too quickly even with the Armour of Scorn with a 6+ feel no pain. I’d take a Daemon Prince with wings and more Bloodletters or a different fast attack squad.
On that basis I’ve built some Furies and will try some of them, plus a few more to bulk out other units. Further post to follow.
They say the god of war does not care from whom the blood flows. This is probably a good thing for I am the recipient of a very fine wooden spoon for last place. The last game came down to the final rolls of the dice, but it was not to be. I lost 3 out of 3.
The board for game 1 forced a lot of movement around the buildings – this was the start lined up for Vanguard Strike to move as far up the board as possible.
And they’re off!
Sneaky Harlequin sniper on top of a building looks like a tasty snackeral for the Bloodthirster. However the Greater Daemon doesn’t last long enough to make it into combat…
Charging Bloodletters kill two jet bikes and damage a third. It’s not enough… The Harlequins win.
The Bloodthirster smells a Salamanders Leviathan and goes hunting
The Skull Cannon manages to put a scratch on the Leviathan before it is sent back to the Warp
Bloodthirster brackets the Lev but gets toasted by Heavy flamers on the charge thanks to overwatch,
Meanwhile the Bloodcrushers go after the Warlord.
When they fail to do the business the Skulltaker has a go
The final game ended up here – literally all that was left on the board. Very closely matched on victory points, but the Bloodletters just ran out of momentum to get the win…
As I plan heading off to a 1250pt Deployment Zone TV invitational tournament called King of the North to be held at Element Games in mid-January, I had a realisation.
I hadn’t added that army to my list of things to do because it was done, except it wasn’t. Over the last 20 years I’ve collected that faction, but never played them as a mono list. They’re always been fielded with Chaos Space Marines, so to make a battle forged battalion I needed a few more units, which has meant adding in the following:
- 8 more bloodletters – I built units of 10 each with standards and horns but running blobs larger than 10 you don’t need more, so I wanted to have extras to play WYSIWYG.
- 3 Bloodcrushers – plan is buy something built and base painted and lightly finish
- 1 Skull Cannon – plan is buy something built and base painted and lightly finish
They’ll be joining the Flesh Hounds (which all need rebasing – half way through that now) and the Bloodletters and Characters to make up the army.
So I’ve decided that I’ll do things a bit differently this year, part of which is cutting back on purchases and more time clearing the backlog. Yes… that’s been said by everyone and the plastic crack is a hard one to fight, but anyway that is the plan because there is quite a lot to do. Off the top of my head:
Night Lords 19th Company
- Finish the Fellblade – base coated
- Finish the 3rd Landraider – base coated
- Finish the trio of Vindicators – base coated and some with detail
- Finish the trio of Predators – built but base plastic
- Finish the Greater Possessed – Primer and some base coat
- Finish the 2nd Venom Crawler – Primer
- Rebase the existing Havocs
- Build more squads – making a number of custom ones from various acquired bits
- Interweave the 30 mark 4 armoured troops into the ranks – Base coated
- Paint the Stormhawk Interceptor
- Paint all the unpainted Warhammer Conquest Marines
- Paint the Crimson Spear Strike Battleforce boxed set contents
- Paint Mephiston
- Build the rest of the Shadowspear boxed set
Bad Moons Orks
- Paint the Armageddon Killa Cans and Deff Dread – half built and base coated
- Paint the Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun – primed
- Paint the other Mek – primed
- Build Ork Mek Boss Buzzgob
- Paint the Nobz in Power Armour – primed
- Build the Stormboyz
- Finish the Scorcha Squad – almost done!
- Finish the Burna-Bomba – built but base plastic
- Finish the terminators – painting and basing onto 40mm
- Finish the genestealers – half painted
- Build the terrain from Gregster’s Lab
- Build some ruins from the cast parts
- Paint the Forgeworld Scenery
- Finish the Warlord and Reaver Weapons
- Build some buildings from cast Sector Imperialis parts
- Build some mountains
When I created this one I did wonder if the head proportions worked with it being an older metal part, but with a bit of green stuff I think it has worked out okay.
On reflection, the skin tone needs to be paler. Maybe I’ll do some work to address that and take some better photos.
The chainglaive wielding, jump pack equipped character will lead a squad of similarly equipped marines.
In all pretty happy with this one so far, but will undoubtedly do some more work on him.
I’m on the fence with the parade / dress uniform winged helms. This one was already painted when I picked up the model so I’ve only made a few changes to make it fall in line with the 19th.
The Skull Reapers shun the crimson red wings of their brothers in other companies within the fallen chapter.
The new Chaos Space Marine figures have been out for a while now and I thought it’d be good to add a few into the ranks of the 19th Company. Here’s the first half of a new 10 man squad.
I’ve been reading the Night Lords omnibus courtesy of the Black Library recently so will take some inspiration from this in making the squad a diverse mixture of armour types.
There’s a further 10 man squad of the new figures in base coat and another 10 on the way via a Shadowspear boxed set.