Corvus Pattern Tactical Squad

After starting the strip down of the old Devastator squad some time ago, all of the original figures have been reassembled, scaled up and formed into my first 10-troop unit, this time a tactical squad.

On the left is the proof of concept marine, then we have a flamer equipped marine and a comms specialist.

All marines cary the tactical squad insignia on the left leg of their lower leg armour.

The squad sergeant uses the original head with some green stuff modelled to provide more hair. He also uses a loin cloth our of a later model set.

The model on the right below is a very old Rogue Trader era metal figure. The chain bayonets were another defining feature of the original Space Marines boxed set.

The original pattern Bolter now seems to be positively anorexic in comparison to the newer models.

I have a real soft spot for the original pattern missile launchers. I just think that it was a great design.

The later missile launcher specific backpack is much better looking that and functional than the original and stick on missile ammo packs. That communicator was also a defining feature of the original set. I also enjoyed creating the backpack with the skulls for exhausts. That’s definitely a design that I will use again.

House Liagaun: Armiger Warglaive

So after the Castellan Knight Castigaitor, I bought a pair of Warglaives and set about building and converting them. I’m quite please with how this came out so will get the second one finished at some point soon.

I’m still worn on the House Liagaun Heraldry but the pair of facing dragons was chosen to be suitably in-keeping with the rest of the 19th Company.

The emerging spikes were made from a combination of whittled cocktail sticks and horns out of the Citadel skull collection box.

I used some cork for the base to represent larger chunks of stone.

The model has full articulation including the waist and upper body. I’ll take some pics of the method used for the waist when I do the second model.

Had a few thoughts about the stripe pattern on these but am quite pleased with how it turned out. In front profile, there’s not too much colour on show.

Rapier Mortar

I’ve fancied getting some field artillery into the arsenal of the Skull Reapers to provide some means of softening up the enemy prior to assault for some time. This was base coated in black when I bought it and should be a fitting addition to the ranks now it’s painted up.

I developed a new monotone version of the company’s chapter icon. I’ve tried different means of embedding this on models over recent months and wanted to try something new for vehicles.

I enjoyed painting this one as the models had some really dynamic poses.

There were also some nice details such as on they handheld scanner which were good to pick out.

The trooper with his hand on the lever…

Second Contemptor Dreadnought

I’ve finished a second Contemptor Dreadnought, they remain my least favourite Dreadnought chassis.

There is something about the design I just don’t like and even with a fair bit of effort to modify them and make it more detailed and unique I’m still not happy with the end result.

Anyway too the standard model and reposed all of the legs to try and make it look more dynamic.

Bought a Forgeworld Power Fist and added the claw fingers.

Went for the optional carapace mounted missile launcher too.

Maybe it just need some more work and I may come back to it in future along with the others…

Breacher Squad: Part 2

Added a couple more chaos space marines into the Breacher squad. There’s quite a lot of work involved in each one and I’ve been tempted by other figures.

Four down, six from the original set to go. I bought another five shields, I should have bought another ten.

I’ve replicated some of the details deployed on the original two figures again on these two. I’ll try and tie the whole squad together at the end.

Corvus: Work in Progress

Having cleaned up one of the Corvus Pattern troops I set about working out what was necessary to scale a model up to be comparable to the newer models. The body is about the same but the legs are shorter so I decided that that making the feet bigger by adding soles using correlated plasticard (~2mm) and adding a little to the waist (~1mm) seemed to do the trick. In the case below I also modded the leg positions from the crouched forms out of the early legs had.

Arms on these early figures used a form of ball and socket type join and to fit more modern arms the body needs the ball joints chopping off the problem with this can be that the arms are too close together to grip a modern bolder so make sure you’ve tried that before gluing them on. Mine needed pinning and some green stuff.