After the game, I think that there are a few things I’d change, but here’s a pic of the army I took.
The Bloodthirster is just a gun magnet and degrades too quickly even with the Armour of Scorn with a 6+ feel no pain. I’d take a Daemon Prince with wings and more Bloodletters or a different fast attack squad.
On that basis I’ve built some Furies and will try some of them, plus a few more to bulk out other units. Further post to follow.
They say the god of war does not care from whom the blood flows. This is probably a good thing for I am the recipient of a very fine wooden spoon for last place. The last game came down to the final rolls of the dice, but it was not to be. I lost 3 out of 3.
The board for game 1 forced a lot of movement around the buildings – this was the start lined up for Vanguard Strike to move as far up the board as possible.
And they’re off!
Sneaky Harlequin sniper on top of a building looks like a tasty snackeral for the Bloodthirster. However the Greater Daemon doesn’t last long enough to make it into combat…
Charging Bloodletters kill two jet bikes and damage a third. It’s not enough… The Harlequins win.
The Bloodthirster smells a Salamanders Leviathan and goes hunting
The Skull Cannon manages to put a scratch on the Leviathan before it is sent back to the Warp
Bloodthirster brackets the Lev but gets toasted by Heavy flamers on the charge thanks to overwatch,
Meanwhile the Bloodcrushers go after the Warlord.
When they fail to do the business the Skulltaker has a go
The final game ended up here – literally all that was left on the board. Very closely matched on victory points, but the Bloodletters just ran out of momentum to get the win…
As I plan heading off to a 1250pt Deployment Zone TV invitational tournament called King of the North to be held at Element Games in mid-January, I had a realisation.
I hadn’t added that army to my list of things to do because it was done, except it wasn’t. Over the last 20 years I’ve collected that faction, but never played them as a mono list. They’re always been fielded with Chaos Space Marines, so to make a battle forged battalion I needed a few more units, which has meant adding in the following:
- 8 more bloodletters – I built units of 10 each with standards and horns but running blobs larger than 10 you don’t need more, so I wanted to have extras to play WYSIWYG.
- 3 Bloodcrushers – plan is buy something built and base painted and lightly finish
- 1 Skull Cannon – plan is buy something built and base painted and lightly finish
They’ll be joining the Flesh Hounds (which all need rebasing – half way through that now) and the Bloodletters and Characters to make up the army.
I decided to increase the size of my Bloodletter units from 8 to 10. Having 40 means I can always have 5 squads of 8 if needed.
When the new ones turned up it became clear GW had rebased them all up from 25mm to 32mm. Sensible as they were pretty unstable on the small bases. But it meant I had 36 Bloodletters on the wrong bases sizes.
Rebased the lot. This time using some popin adapters that had been 3d printed – much better that the two part adapters I imported from the USA.
All done with movement trays and they came out well. I bought a Bloodmaster Herald of Khorne model too and freed up another older model to use as a Skulltaker. Gives me some options if I need to have a couple of characters to use as well if needed for future Army lists.
After a fair bit of procrastination I finally finished the Bloodletters that I had been putting off for months. Quite enjoyed them once I got into it.
This was about adding a further 16 of these Lesser Daemons into the Khornate part of the army.
There was some repetition of model, but when I built them up I did try to avoid that and the effort seems to have paid off as they all look quite unique.
Amassed there are now 40 Bloodletters in total. I think that I have one of every model every produced, although not some of these that were available as parts of other kits or as Heralds of Khorne etc. Need to leave some room for expansion…
Need to work on some tactics to get this horde of trouble into close combat so they can do the business…
Lots of sharp things…
So now the Bloodletters are done, it’s time to get into the Flesh Hounds…
All of the Bloodletters had a good soak to get the old paint off. After that it was clean up time, removing casting flash and seam marks, pinning and gluing them together and basing them up.
A few repairs were needed and I had to scratch build and entire body for this one. They’re now all primed up and ready for paint.
I also bought a new base for this very classic Juggernaut figure:
Probably picked up some of these Bloodletters back in the mid-1980s. I think they’re just cracking figures. I’ve picked up all the different variants that have come out since but as I expand this unit including the new plastic ones which are the closest to the original ethic so far. When I saw these come up I. decided to pick up some more.
Paint looked nice from afar but was far from nice. I’ll not be winning a golden demon award anytime soon but I think I can do better than this:
Time for them to take a bath in acid. In the Warhammer universe they’d probably like that.