I have five of these Dreadclaws to paint up this is the first. The others were in a bad state and were sent off to Renew Models for vapour blasting and have just come back so no excuses now not to get these finished!
Again custom decals developed for these and pretty pleased with how they have worked out.
Might look at trying some weathering powders on some later models, but I am also painting up two drop pods for the Blood Angels using zenithal methods so we will see what a difference that makes too.
Eight Legion, C Battallion, 19th Company, Anvillus Dreadclaw No. 3
I am going to develop the grey and blue theme on the armoured vehicles as they seem to complement each other well.
I have a lot of vehicles to paint up but wasn’t really very pleased with efforts on armour from last year. My wife bought me an Element Games painting course with David Soper for earlier this year but due to COVID-19 it never happened so I have had a go.
I also had a go at making some Skull Reapers company graphics. Pretty pleased with the artwork to reality concept, but need to work on the application and varnishing stages with later models.
Suitably adorned with icons of terror, death and gore. Oh and chains.
Magnetised the Bolter turrets so that they can be positioned too.
Think that the weathering worked okay. May try some more rust and weathering powder effects on later models,
Grimdark justice in a Banksy style. I took inspiration from WW2 US Army Corp vehicle markings. This one translates as Troop Transport, Eight Legion, C Battalion, 19th Company Tank, 1st Rhino. Produced by Mondus Occulum Forge on Mars in M30.
As always seem to have a multitude of models on the go. They’re sitting at various stages of complete, but some need more work or motivation than others and get reprioritised in favour of something that’s a bit more inspiring.
I decided that I wanted some dedicated close combat terminators and as part of a job lot of figures ended up with some Cataphractii Terminators. These one are all equipped with a pair of lightning claws and in addition to these I’ve five chaos terminators who are going to get clawed up too. Plus I’ve started gathering bits for some thunder hammer and storm shield troops too.
Then there’s the Chaos Warhound Titan. The one that’s sat in a box under the table for months. That was sold as a complete finished model and arrived in bits. Well the new base for that is underway and I’ll start thinking about pinning and gluing it back together now. Just mulling over whether to magnetise the waist joint…
After months in storage an Instagram post by @swinter_uk inspired me to crack on with sorting out a model I wanted for many years and finally bought earlier this year, a Chair Warhound Titan. The starting point for this was to get it standing and on a base.
A 300mm 1/2″ plywood base was soon drilled and layered with Welsh slate (i’ve been collecting a bucket full this for the last 6 months) and greenhouse dried sharp sand (because it’s always damp in the plastic bags that come straight from the quarry).
The ply base and the large piece of slate were both drilled. The underside of the base was then recessed so the head of a 6mm bolt would sit flush. The bolt I used had the head around down to 1.5mm thickness so there wasn’t too much ply removed. This and the slate was then epoxied into place forming a peg that sticks up about 30mm. The right foot was then drilled on the pillar drill so the peg can mount into it.
This bottom half had broken into three parts. I had adjustment on the left leg at the hip and right leg at the knee. These were manipulated to work with the terrain and then pinned with sections of stainless steel bicycle spoke and epoxied. Toe adjustment was next. Three of the six front toes were snapped off, but non of these or the rear toes were fitted flush to the rest of the foot. the resin pegs on the back of the toes had been slotted into the foot but left a 5mm gap. So they all got chopped off and it was time to pin and epoxy to make things right.
Adjusted a few of then toe sections before pinning and glueing by snapping the original glue (fortunately not the resin) and then repositioning to work with the terrain.
I’ve fancied getting some field artillery into the arsenal of the Skull Reapers to provide some means of softening up the enemy prior to assault for some time. This was base coated in black when I bought it and should be a fitting addition to the ranks now it’s painted up.
I developed a new monotone version of the company’s chapter icon. I’ve tried different means of embedding this on models over recent months and wanted to try something new for vehicles.
I enjoyed painting this one as the models had some really dynamic poses.
There were also some nice details such as on they handheld scanner which were good to pick out.
1988. Adaptus Titanicus came out and many afternoons and evenings were spend playing epic scale 40k with mates. Then a few years ago Forgeworld started making 28mm scale Titans. Now they make a Warlord sized one for the price of a car.
This was not the price of a car, nor is it a warlord but it’s a great model that’s currently out of production. Unfortunately did not travel well. Needs a bit of Warpsmith fettling.