It turns out that Instagram peer pressure is a thing, but not as much as the issue with inconsistency in lighting for photos. Most of the time when I want to take photos of miniatures it’s after hours. Kids are in bed and it’s dark outside. Natural light is not going to happen very often for my photos.
So after some basic research I bought a Lightbox from Amazon and have been experimenting. Turns out this is not a simple thing to use and certainly doesn’t lend itself to point and click digital photography. Previously I’ve tried black backdrops and think some of my better photos have come from diffuse natural light and a matt black backdrop.
Yet in the light box white backdrops and the exposure ramped up seemed to give the best results. I recently upgraded my phone to an iPhone 11 Pro Max with it’s fancy triple lens camera set up so there are some good adjustments and fiddling about to be had.
In addition to the Obliterators I also bought some of these Apothecary models off eBay. In hindsight I am not sure why I painted them like all the other Marines. Maybe I thought white armour probably wasn’t the best for slinking about in the shadows.
However every time I look at these guys I think that they are not ‘right’ so at some point I am going to have to revisit them and address this. They’ll probably end up getting repainted. In white. Just like every other Apothecary model. In every other chapter. Hmmm. Some research needed.
I’ve also ended up with these on the wrong sized bases. As there isn’t an Apothercary model equivalent in Chaos Space Marine army lists they’ll basically be fielded as Exhalted Champions and need to go up to a 40mm base. Let’s just say mistakes were made.
I also stuck together and painted up a couple more chaos cultists with heavy weapons. Yes one of the Heavy Stubbers is off a War Dog knight!
So after the Castellan Knight Castigaitor, I bought a pair of Warglaives and set about building and converting them. I’m quite please with how this came out so will get the second one finished at some point soon.
I’m still worn on the House Liagaun Heraldry but the pair of facing dragons was chosen to be suitably in-keeping with the rest of the 19th Company.
The emerging spikes were made from a combination of whittled cocktail sticks and horns out of the Citadel skull collection box.
I used some cork for the base to represent larger chunks of stone.
The model has full articulation including the waist and upper body. I’ll take some pics of the method used for the waist when I do the second model.
Had a few thoughts about the stripe pattern on these but am quite pleased with how it turned out. In front profile, there’s not too much colour on show.