New Tactical Squad: Proof of Concept

I’ve been working on some ideas for a new squad and have now finished a proof of concept.

I’ve been heavily influenced by Kari from Ironsleet (Instagram @Koltti) and an incredible force of Red Corsairs.

t of a

As part of a bulk buy of figures I’ve ended up with three squads to form into tactical units of ten, probably out of a Betrayal at Calth set. I wanted to find a way to develop some unique features for the squads.

Spiked shoulder pads are formed by drilling the pad with a large bit in the pin vice, such as 3.5mm.

Cocktail sticks were then taken and the tips chopped off. That gives two spikes straight off. The others were cut and whittled from the same stick with a scalpel.

Helmet plumes in the mark IV armour pattern are heavily influenced by Roman centurion helmet designs. I think they look a bit rubbish so turned mine to run from to bak with a bit of shaping. A skull was then modded to fit at the front. Just need to build up the motivation to do a load more.

Vindicator I

8th edition has some rules for running multiple vindicators as a unit in terms of combined firepower from an artillery battery. On that basis I’m forming up a trio of indirect fire

Siege shields naturally. Regardless of the rules, they just look better.

After the attempt on the Rapier, I’ve continued the monotone company markings on the front and sides.

Will leave it as that for now and come back to add some weathering at a later point.

Another Rhino

It might be the first one that I have posted here, but this is another tactical transport for the troops of the 19th Company.

I’ve developed the insignia I trialled on the Rapier Mortar to provide some monotone chapter markings to the bullet riddled hull.

It’s not a Chaos Rhino unless it has a lot of spikes. This one has plenty, plus a fully painted interior and a few subtle mods like the I-beam front bumper.

Corvus Pattern Tactical Squad

After starting the strip down of the old Devastator squad some time ago, all of the original figures have been reassembled, scaled up and formed into my first 10-troop unit, this time a tactical squad.

On the left is the proof of concept marine, then we have a flamer equipped marine and a comms specialist.

All marines cary the tactical squad insignia on the left leg of their lower leg armour.

The squad sergeant uses the original head with some green stuff modelled to provide more hair. He also uses a loin cloth our of a later model set.

The model on the right below is a very old Rogue Trader era metal figure. The chain bayonets were another defining feature of the original Space Marines boxed set.

The original pattern Bolter now seems to be positively anorexic in comparison to the newer models.

I have a real soft spot for the original pattern missile launchers. I just think that it was a great design.

The later missile launcher specific backpack is much better looking that and functional than the original and stick on missile ammo packs. That communicator was also a defining feature of the original set. I also enjoyed creating the backpack with the skulls for exhausts. That’s definitely a design that I will use again.

Rapier Mortar

I’ve fancied getting some field artillery into the arsenal of the Skull Reapers to provide some means of softening up the enemy prior to assault for some time. This was base coated in black when I bought it and should be a fitting addition to the ranks now it’s painted up.

I developed a new monotone version of the company’s chapter icon. I’ve tried different means of embedding this on models over recent months and wanted to try something new for vehicles.

I enjoyed painting this one as the models had some really dynamic poses.

There were also some nice details such as on they handheld scanner which were good to pick out.

The trooper with his hand on the lever…

Breacher Squad: Part 2

Added a couple more chaos space marines into the Breacher squad. There’s quite a lot of work involved in each one and I’ve been tempted by other figures.

Four down, six from the original set to go. I bought another five shields, I should have bought another ten.

I’ve replicated some of the details deployed on the original two figures again on these two. I’ll try and tie the whole squad together at the end.