Titans and Knights

So started painting some stuff up, starting with a few Knights in House Liagaun colours. Like the 28mm scale ones I’ve done but less tainted by chaos.

Making and painting up the Warlords took a while made it there in the end.

The detail on these models are great

Added decals but still need to come back to weathering but we’ll get there at some point.

Ordered some custom decals for Legio Ulricon so I develop some narrative around the maniple as it builds up. The concept of a serpent emblem seemed appropriate for a traitor titan legion.

I think that there’s a temptation to over do it so I have tried to keep the models simple.

Along the way over recent weeks I ended up acquiring two of these. I’ll sell one on, but think that it’ll make a great centrepiece building.

It’s a Kibri Z scale kit (#36818) that is no longer in production.

It has plenty of character and I think will be another good building addition for games of Adeptus Titanicus.

The stained glass windows won’t be staying nor will the factory base.

One of the pair also came with some custom Shapeways flying buttresses which was a nice touch.

It needs a few repairs, but nothing major. So after that I felt it was important to get some of the other models as they came out so a few more knights and a pair of Reavers had to be added to the top of quite a long build-and-paint list.

Adeptus Titanicus

After several years of 28mm scale Titans being available like those shown here from Warhammer World, Games Workshop have re-released Adeptus Titanicus. Warhammer Community news article cover off what’s coming.

I’m stoked to have confirmation that I have secured a copy of the Grand Master Edition that was available on pre-order. It’s due to arrive later this month. There’s a great review of the contents over at the Titan Owners’ Club.

I can’t wait, have many fond memories of playing the original in the early 90s. Looks like Winters SEO might have also played the originals, but I’ve not watched his videos yet.

Work in Progress: August 2018

As always seem to have a multitude of models on the go. They’re sitting at various stages of complete, but some need more work or motivation than others and get reprioritised in favour of something that’s a bit more inspiring.

I decided that I wanted some dedicated close combat terminators and as part of a job lot of figures ended up with some Cataphractii Terminators. These one are all equipped with a pair of lightning claws and in addition to these I’ve five chaos terminators who are going to get clawed up too. Plus I’ve started gathering bits for some thunder hammer and storm shield troops too.

Then there’s the Chaos Warhound Titan. The one that’s sat in a box under the table for months. That was sold as a complete finished model and arrived in bits. Well the new base for that is underway and I’ll start thinking about pinning and gluing it back together now. Just mulling over whether to magnetise the waist joint…

Chaos Warhound Titan: Basing

After months in storage an Instagram post by @swinter_uk inspired me to crack on with sorting out a model I wanted for many years and finally bought earlier this year, a Chair Warhound Titan. The starting point for this was to get it standing and on a base.

A 300mm 1/2″ plywood base was soon drilled and layered with Welsh slate (i’ve been collecting a bucket full this for the last 6 months) and greenhouse dried sharp sand (because it’s always damp in the plastic bags that come straight from the quarry).

The ply base and the large piece of slate were both drilled. The underside of the base was then recessed so the head of a 6mm bolt would sit flush. The bolt I used had the head around down to 1.5mm thickness so there wasn’t too much ply removed. This and the slate was then epoxied into place forming a peg that sticks up about 30mm. The right foot was then drilled on the pillar drill so the peg can mount into it.

This bottom half had broken into three parts. I had adjustment on the left leg at the hip and right leg at the knee. These were manipulated to work with the terrain and then pinned with sections of stainless steel bicycle spoke and epoxied. Toe adjustment was next.  Three of the six front toes were snapped off, but non of these or the rear toes were fitted flush to the rest of the foot. the resin pegs on the back of the toes had been slotted into the foot but left a 5mm gap. So they all got chopped off and it was time to pin and epoxy to make things right.

Adjusted a few of then toe sections before pinning and glueing by snapping the original glue (fortunately not the resin) and then repositioning to work with the terrain.

Bit of a Dog

1988. Adaptus Titanicus came out and many afternoons and evenings were spend playing epic scale 40k with mates. Then a few years ago Forgeworld started making 28mm scale Titans. Now they make a Warlord sized one for the price of a car.

This was not the price of a car, nor is it a warlord but it’s a great model that’s currently out of production. Unfortunately did not travel well. Needs a bit of Warpsmith fettling.