Corvus Pattern Tactical Squad

After starting the strip down of the old Devastator squad some time ago, all of the original figures have been reassembled, scaled up and formed into my first 10-troop unit, this time a tactical squad.

On the left is the proof of concept marine, then we have a flamer equipped marine and a comms specialist.

All marines cary the tactical squad insignia on the left leg of their lower leg armour.

The squad sergeant uses the original head with some green stuff modelled to provide more hair. He also uses a loin cloth our of a later model set.

The model on the right below is a very old Rogue Trader era metal figure. The chain bayonets were another defining feature of the original Space Marines boxed set.

The original pattern Bolter now seems to be positively anorexic in comparison to the newer models.

I have a real soft spot for the original pattern missile launchers. I just think that it was a great design.

The later missile launcher specific backpack is much better looking that and functional than the original and stick on missile ammo packs. That communicator was also a defining feature of the original set. I also enjoyed creating the backpack with the skulls for exhausts. That’s definitely a design that I will use again.

Corvus: Work in Progress

Having cleaned up one of the Corvus Pattern troops I set about working out what was necessary to scale a model up to be comparable to the newer models. The body is about the same but the legs are shorter so I decided that that making the feet bigger by adding soles using correlated plasticard (~2mm) and adding a little to the waist (~1mm) seemed to do the trick. In the case below I also modded the leg positions from the crouched forms out of the early legs had.

Arms on these early figures used a form of ball and socket type join and to fit more modern arms the body needs the ball joints chopping off the problem with this can be that the arms are too close together to grip a modern bolder so make sure you’ve tried that before gluing them on. Mine needed pinning and some green stuff.