Modular ruins extended

I bought some more of the Epic Armageddon ruins and with silicon moulds and epoxy resin cast some up to create more modular ruins from Adeptus Titanicus building on the earlier ones.

On a recommendation from Luke Fellows at Luke’s APS of YouTube fame, I placed an order with CFS. It arrived within 12 hours which is fantastic service. It turns out 1kg of 25 shore RTV Silicon only makes a few moulds as building sections take a lot of it, and I learned quite a bit in the process, mostly with parts floating up as the silicon set, needing a bit of experimentation with getting them to stick to the ceramic tile. Hot glue gun failed. Plasticene worked. I had plenty of resin, so once I had good moulds, casting lot’s of sections wasn’t an issue.

The brittle nature of the resin worked well for shattered stone work. Cast it, then break with your fingers. I did think I might need to use a rubber mallet and a block of wood, but didn’t need to in the end.

Bit more work needed to perfect the casting techniques, but I am happy with the first experiments. Oh, I should point out all of the windows needed cutting out using a needle point tungsten carbide bit in the Dremel. Wear a high grade dust mask filter like this JSP one which is my preferred choice.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.