I loved going into Wargames and then as it became, Dice and Decks in Southport. Martin had a great setup and I really loved the Forgeworld scenery he had available for use.
When Martin decided just before the world went mad with COVID-19 to close the store and move to a warehouse and online setup he sold up a lot of furniture. I went in for a battle mat and a table and cheekily asked about the scenery.
No battle mats to be had, but a deal was done for the Forgeworld scenery and a long desire to get hands on with this amazing and now out of production scenery was done. So pleased to have managed to get this stuff.
As you’ll see form the photos it is not mint condition it’s all be used and is a bit worn, but it’s good enough for immediate use and with a few repairs will be back to a great standard in time!
Photographed here with some of my own stuff and a new Battlemat which I think works quite well in combination.
It’s definitely given me the appetite to try and get a few other bits and paint this stuff up!
Look at those barricades, there is a set of those of I remember rightly!
When I started playing there was no official scenery. The Games Workshop scenery you can get these days is amazing stuff and lets you build some amazing tables for battles. Definitely a step up from the scratch build stuff we made back in the day,
Behold the Chaos Space Marine bunker fortification with added spikey bits. Clearly I didn’t fancy painting black and yellow danger chevrons or chequerboard pattern, which was unusual given how prevalent these were at at the time!
Scratch built trees made from paper clips wrapped in masking tape with wire wool and green scourer/scotchbrite pads cut for leaves.
So I’ve decided that I’ll do things a bit differently this year, part of which is cutting back on purchases and more time clearing the backlog. Yes… that’s been said by everyone and the plastic crack is a hard one to fight, but anyway that is the plan because there is quite a lot to do. Off the top of my head:
Night Lords 19th Company
Finish the Fellblade – base coated
Finish the 3rd Landraider – base coated
Finish the trio of Vindicators – base coated and some with detail
Finish the trio of Predators – built but base plastic
Finish the Greater Possessed – Primer and some base coat
Finish the 2nd Venom Crawler – Primer
Rebase the existing Havocs
Build more squads – making a number of custom ones from various acquired bits
Interweave the 30 mark 4 armoured troops into the ranks – Base coated
Paint the Stormhawk Interceptor
Paint all the unpainted Warhammer Conquest Marines
Paint the Crimson Spear Strike Battleforce boxed set contents
Build the rest of the Shadowspear boxed set
Bad Moons Orks
Paint the Armageddon Killa Cans and Deff Dread – half built and base coated
Paint the Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun – primed
Paint the other Mek – primed
Build Ork Mek Boss Buzzgob
Paint the Nobz in Power Armour – primed
Build the Stormboyz
Finish the Scorcha Squad – almost done!
Finish the Burna-Bomba – built but base plastic
Finish the terminators – painting and basing onto 40mm
Finish the genestealers – half painted
Build the terrain from Gregster’s Lab
Build some ruins from the cast parts
Paint the Forgeworld Scenery
Finish the Warlord and Reaver Weapons
Build some buildings from cast Sector Imperialis parts
Earlier this year the team over at Unreal Wargaming Studio ran a kickstarter campaign to get their Adeptus Titanicus range out o the blocks. There was a great range of titan bases and some rather fab resin buildings in both war-torn and ruined styles. They work so, so well with the Games Workshop towers and spires set I thought I would combine them for photo purposes…
I bought some more of the Epic Armageddon ruins and with silicon moulds and epoxy resin cast some up to create more modular ruins from Adeptus Titanicus building on the earlier ones.
On a recommendation from Luke Fellows at Luke’s APS of YouTube fame, I placed an order with CFS. It arrived within 12 hours which is fantastic service. It turns out 1kg of 25 shore RTV Silicon only makes a few moulds as building sections take a lot of it, and I learned quite a bit in the process, mostly with parts floating up as the silicon set, needing a bit of experimentation with getting them to stick to the ceramic tile. Hot glue gun failed. Plasticene worked. I had plenty of resin, so once I had good moulds, casting lot’s of sections wasn’t an issue.
The brittle nature of the resin worked well for shattered stone work. Cast it, then break with your fingers. I did think I might need to use a rubber mallet and a block of wood, but didn’t need to in the end.
Bit more work needed to perfect the casting techniques, but I am happy with the first experiments. Oh, I should point out all of the windows needed cutting out using a needle point tungsten carbide bit in the Dremel. Wear a high grade dust mask filter like this JSP one which is my preferred choice.
Last year I invested as part of the community in an Indiegogo campaign to create some more scenery compatible with Adeptus Titanicus. I’d bought some of Gregster’s Lab stuff previously and really liked it.
Several months later everything is cast and the order has landed. May the building and painting begin! Here’s an unboxing video
Respect to GW for mimicking the original Adeptus Titanicus Warlord heads and making them available. Truth be told I think they look terrible. On that basis decided to try and make one look better and made this. Work in progress…
After a little waiting, picked up the weapons upgrade sprues for Titanicus, we’ll give them a whirl in combat soon. There are two Warlords under construction so some of the armour variants can be tested out.
All my 40k figures are in a big storage display cabinet. I decided that organising them all would be easier with movement trays so found a supplier on eBay and bought some to try them out.